Tuesday, June 12, 2012

May 29th-June12th


I cannot believe that it has been almost a month since I have arrived to Shanghai! With the lack of a stable internet connection, I have not been able to continuously post blogs- so I jot down some key things I have done and I am posting now.
  Work has stayed busy, and still remains a little vague over here. It appears that China’s idea and understanding of Epidemiology is quite different than that of the US. Overall, however I continue to work on data assessment and mathematical modeling related to type 2 diabetes (T2DM). My boss is currently in route to Bangkok and I will get to meet with her maybe a few more times when she returns before I leave the campus.
Yesterday, May 11th I presented a PowerPoint presentation to the Epidemiology department during their research preparation seminar. I am not sure how much they actually understood- but it was a nice experience.
Some Fudan U. faculty kindly arranged some site visits for us. These are always all day affairs that are very tiring- but very interesting. I went to visit An Ting town in the area known as Jiading. We were able to visit the village clinic as well as the community hospital.
Getting to these sites were a bit challenging. We all rode in a 20 year old manual van that was soo hot!!! The driver would try to pick up speed in the van on the highway but because of the van’s age, the transmission would slip and so alas we jerked down the road and arrived at our first site- the Shanghai CDC office. We were so nauseous upon arrival.
At the CDC we spent quite some time discussing the most prevalent and severe Public Health concerns of China. The number 1 is SMOKING! Around 50% of men in the Chinese population smoke. Only 2% of Chinese women smoke- as it is considered un-lady like. Consequently, with the high rates of smoking and the poor air quality due to pollution, lung cancer is one of the leading causes of death. TB and Multi- Drug resistant/ extreme drug resistant tuberculosis  (MDR/ XDRTB) are not far behind. There is even current research that has suggested that smoking is probably a factor involved in increased susceptibility to TB and as men have higher rates of TB, this is a hypothesis worth researching. But sadly with the inequality issues, it may just be that there are higher rates of diagnosis among men than women. Dr. Xu, my boss primarily works on conducting focal education groups related to TB in Shanghai and she has found that many women will not seek treatment for a persistent cough. Additionally, the family will first treat men and children. Women are not as valued members of the family, because they do not bring in as much money into the household. Type 2 Diabetes, is next- with higher prevalence among younger persons. There are many factors associated with this- but China is struggling to implement a program to curb the rates of obesity and T2DM. Some of the key factors related to the increase in T2DM is beta cell dysfunction, reduction in exercise/ labor intensive jobs, and food changes. The CDC reported that they will try to assemble a model similar to the “Healthy Cities Program” in the US. There is lots of work to be done on T2DM!!
   Next, we went to the village clinic. It was quite small with only 5 rooms total in the building, but not to be fooled- this town clinic serves over 5,000 people! It was also interesting to find out that the “Medical Assistants” who work there have no more than high school and 2 years medical training. The pharmacist who works there will only write prescriptions for a couple of weeks -3 weeks at most- so that patients will come back to the clinic for follow up and also to receive more medication upon return. This is a way of increasing compliance among the towns peoples and the medical personnel believe that they can better establish a relationship with the patients as well as assess baseline treatment vs. 3,6,9 etc. weeks out. 
  About 20 minutes away from the village clinic, we were able to visit the community hospital. This hospital was built in 2009- and is beautiful and larger than Queens Hospital in Honolulu, HI. This hospital serves 6,000-10,000+ individuals. We saw many families that had brought -mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, aunties and uncles all to come for the 1 child to be vaccinated. With the one child policy in China- Children are revered and mostly well taken care of. Boys are still highly valued all over China- but as I have learned, in particular in the city of Shanghai women are now becoming quite prized, but this is among my generation only. The patient privacy issue is very different from the US. We were able to see farmers receiving the ancient Chinese practice of ‘cupping’ and there is a room dedicated to receiving IV fluids. In this room everyone who needs an IV will come and sit for hours receiving treatment with up to 100+ other individuals. After seeing this room- I expected to see a dialysis room  constructed in similar fashion. But never saw one, so I asked the WHO Shanghai director about why there was no dialysis room. He said that dialysis would be at a third tier medical facility and that many do not get the dialysis treatment they need. I was mostly interested in T2DM patients who have kidney failure as a secondary complication- yet his response was that secondary complications to T2DM are much lower in China than in the US. I am interested in finding out why? Currently the study I am working on collected data on over 30 T2DM secondary complications & comorbidities , so I am working on conducting some statistical models and analysis to see what the rates of T2DM secondary complications look like in 4 major cities of China.
Lunch with faculty in Jiading was interesting. They kept trying to serve me shrimp and steak… neither of which I will eat. BUT I was told that Xialong Bao originated in Jiading province so I was able to try the “original!”
  On June 7th I attended a lecture series on T2DM and TB in China with Georgetown University students at the Handan Fudan campus. ( This is the main campus) My boss Dr. Xu spoke on TB and her associate Dr. Wang spoke on T2DM and nutrition. Gtown kids are just so smart that the conversations were interesting, and at least somewhat of a distraction from the heat. As it was close to 100 degrees F with 80% humidity that day. The premise of Gtown coming to visit, is that one professor at Gtown also works with the World Bank, and the World Bank plays a large role in loans given to China to help with epidemiological outbreak surveillance and availability of medications.
   In the world of being a tourist- I was taken to a Hot Pot House last night. To my delight- a gentleman came to our table and hand pulled noodles for the soup. It was such an impressive show. He was actually twirling the noodles above his head and around his waist as if he was doing a ribbon dance!
Well…. I think your caught up for now-

No comments:

Post a Comment